Monday, March 10, 2008

MY READING LIFE -- INTRODUCTION

Greetings from Vermont, fellow readers.

With this first posting, I offer ongoing reprints of a column I write for the Record Review in Bedford, NY. R.J.Marx is the editor of this prizewinning hometown newspaper and I thank him for providing the interest and the space for such musings about the stuff I've been reading.

"My Reading Life" is not a book review. It is a casual musing about books I've read and might read. It is the discreet story of my life told through what I read. I am not a literary snob as you will discover as you browse through these offering. In fact, my tastes are relatively lowbrow. I read "Publishers' Weekly" and I often reflect on the books I find reviewed there, often weeks before publication.

I live in Vermont, a healthy place for the determined reader. There are still independent booksellers in little towns tucked in the valleys between the mountains. Somehow, the casual and unfrazzled Vermont way of life, plus the long, hard winters, makes reading for pleasure more possible here than it might be elsewhere.

So I've decided to share "My Reading Life" with the wide world Out There. You'll know if something resonates and I'll be pleased to hear what you have to say.

No comments: